Each year I invest in a few new pieces to add to my Christmas decor collection, but for the most part we use what we have. I’m guessing this is standard practice for most people out there.
However, that doesn’t mean it has to be boring and frustrating to decorate for Christmas. Let me show you 10 Ways to Reinvent Your Christmas Decor and infuse some new life into those older pieces you own.
*This post contains affiliate links to products I know &/or love.*
1) Decide which colors you are going to focus on and leave the rest of the items in storage. We went with white, three shades of green and the tiniest touch a red. Also, birch wood and touches of gold can be found.
2) Consider simplifying your tree this year for a more Scandinavian look. Last year we had nothing on our tree, no lights, no ornaments. Zip. Zero. Zilch. This year I only used one strand of lights and three garlands with a berry sprig at the top instead of a tree topper.
3) Switch out your pillow covers. Or turn an old sweater into a pillow, I show you how in my Simple Sweater Pillow Tutorial.
5) Don’t be afraid to give something a coat of white paint. This $2 garage sale nativity scene got a little makeover this year. Rustoleum makes my favorite Heirloom White spray paint.
6) Turn something you love into a garland. This sheet music is from my late grandfather’s music stash. I love honoring him in this way and showcasing it on our tree.
7) Incorporate vintage toys into your decorating. This doll house was made (from a kit) by my son when he was only eight years old, I love pulling it out each year to use at Christmastime.
8) Display all your white pillows and anything crocheted to give the feeling of snow. I put this dust ruffle on our church pew, which incidentally reminds me of a sleigh! And if you look closely you will see that our tree skirt is just a round table cloth with slit cut in it.
9) Pull together a collection of all your vintage books in your color scheme for this year.
10) Take any big pieces of decor you have and try to use them up high somehow, this gives more impact than having them on the ground.
So, there you are, 10 Ways to Reinvent Your Christmas Decor!
Don’t be discouraged if you are pulling your holiday decor out of storage and feeling like it is a little too boring.
There is so much you can do to bring it back to life and create a whole new feel this season!