Some of you may be thinking I have completely given up on redoing this master bedroom. But, let me assure you I have done no such thing! I believe it is high time for a Master Bedroom Update.
I had done a blog post in the past sharing my vision and mood board for the space. Then we had a few curveballs thrown at us with life and finances and design detours and well you know the story, it’s still isn’t finished.
One of my first goals for 2020 is to get this place “finished”.
We all know a decorator is never truly done and that’s the fun of our lives.
BUT, I do want to come to a place where I’m happy with this room and ready to focus on something else like our front porches.
This room used to be two rooms before we bought the place. Somewhere probably in the 50’s it was turned into one large room and I am told the back room was the mother’s sewing room in 1906.
There were remnants of a chimney coming up through the center of the room when we found the place and we had to chisel that away and rebuild the rotting wood floor.
We rewired the whole house, which meant they were huge holes everywhere in the lath and plaster.
We replaced a lot of it with sheet rock and changed all the lighting fixture locations and styles.
After the millwork, paint and refinishing the wood floors, we were ready to think about more of the decorating details that I love so much.
One of the fun things about having this be one large room that used to be two rooms, is it left us with three good closets in the master bedroom.
That is really odd to find in a house built in the early 1900s. I ended up turning one of the closets into my office.
For the other two we spent a long time trying to figure out what to do for the doors. I didn’t want anything too modern looking.
Actually, I wanted them to look sort of like armoires and after going around and around and how much a different designs, my husband and I settled on a custom bifold door makeover project.
We found some bifold doors on craigslist and added some simple trim to give them some shaker style.
Then, we positioned the knobs to look sort of like lockers or armoire doors and painted them in a nice warm great. I really love them and I’m glad we waited until we had a design that we really loved.
I later found a cute little cabinet piece on Craigslist and had the idea of upcycling it into a faux card catalog. It was my nightstand for a while and now I have it over in our seating area
That brings me to our mantle which was a recent makeover we did in December. We found this mantle on craigslist and had the idea to add a gas fireplace.
*This post contains affiliate links to products I know &/or love.
Upon discovering the price for installing gas (approximately $5000!), we ended up exploring less expensive options and decided on this sweet little electric fireplace insert from Amazon.
I had originally thought that I wanted to simplify the look of the mantle and paint it white. Once we did that, though, it felt too plain and so I will be dressing it up a little bit more in the near future.
After a lot of going back-and-forth, I decided to try a simple, black wrought iron bed frame from Wayfair in the space and love the openness compared to the sleigh bed that that was in our space here.
My husband was out of town when the bed was delivered and I decided to surprise him by moving it into a totally different spot in the room.
When he got home he really loved it so it has stayed. I can see myself moving the bed back to where the chairs are between the closet doors eventually but for now we really like the spot under the chandelier.
Another thing we got done was giving these lamps a makeover. They were metal; I found them at a garage sale and I used a technique to make them look like raw wood and then dyed the shades black.
I switched out the drapes and chose some white linen curtains from IKEA. When I got them up in the space they looked too yellow.
Thinking I could just bleach them to get them to appear whites, I attempted to change the color. It did not go well and I ended up working on it for several weeks trying different products. I ran onto my new favorite product for getting fabrics white and I’ll let you read about it in this post.
Now let’s talk about the master bedroom goals.
I’m embarrassed to say, I regret my decision to remove the corbels on the mantle and I will be adding back in some molding pieces to dress it up. You can be looking forward to a blog post on how to dress up a simple mantle soon.
I’m also looking for some kind of a really tall plant probably an olive tree or lemon tree that I want to sit in front of my full length mirror.
Incidentally, I have not decided what color to paint that frame but I’m not liking the dark wood anymore.
Let me know in the comments below if you have any thoughts on what I should do.
I am looking for a new nightstand, hopefully, something with a marble top and will be heading to the antique store soon for that.
I’m thinking of painting my husband’s white because I really like the lines on that nightstand and want to keep it.
And then I want to put some thought into the bedding and make it a lot more layered and luxurious looking. Definitely more pillows and another comforter. And linen sheets. Yes.
I’m going to try to give the brass a makeover on the chandelier which means I do the raw wood technique and add some crystals. If that doesn’t work I’ll replace it with something, but I always wanna try DIY first.
BTW, If you’re still reading, you deserve an award.
The desk is going to get some black paint with a chalk paint watercolor technique.
And then the armoire, that we inherited from my husband‘s grandmother, is going to get a light gray paint coat of paint to match the closet doors and then a darker paint on the inside.