I want to show the most effective way I have found to clean area rugs and the good news is
- It is FREE!
- It will last at least a year, even with heavy traffic.
If you have ever pulled up carpet, you know what I am talking about when I say, it can be horrifying! All the years of dirt and debris get trapped underneath and even if you professionally clean them every six months as suggested, there is just no way to truly get them clean.
Now area rugs are another story because you can get to the underside!
When we first looked at our farmhouse one of our fellow old-home lover friends came to admire the place. The carpet was DISGUSTING, yes, I just yelled that.
There were so many pet stains that I wouldn’t let them kids take their shoes off. But, once I turned my back they started rolling across the floor. I think I might have flipped out on them at that point.
But, once our friend took out his knife and pulled up the corner of that nasty carpet to reveal original hard wood floors, I caught the vision.
We spent that first fourth of July tearing out that horrible carpet and pulling staples till our hands blistered.
Once the hardwoods were restored, the house was strangely echoey and we set out to find a few area rugs.
This worked well to quiet our house and cleaning hardwoods was much easier than carpets, but I still needed to find a good way to clean the area rugs every so often.
Finally, I settled on the below method. . .
The Best Way to Clean an Area Rug
*This post contains affiliate links to products I know &/or love.
- Check your weather forecast and make sure you have at least 3 days of sunshine.
- Start by giving the rug a good vacuum.
- Spot treat any stains.
- Roll the rug up and carry outside.
- Place on a plastic (preferably) table and unroll it.
- Soak the fibers with a garden hose.
- Then, using some dish soap and hot water, begin to scrub the rug in sections.
- Rinse with the hose water until the water runs clear.
- Flip the rug over and repeat.
- Let the rug dry for 3 days and place on a clothes line or dry rack on the last day if the rug is small enough.
- For maintenance throughout the year, I recommend Kids and Pets for spot treament. It’s been my favorite for the last 16 years and it smells divine.
Watch this video to see how easy it is!Shop this look
If you are focusing on cleaning and decluttering right now, be sure to grab a copy of my simple decluttering method below. Just click on the printable!
Pin for Later
Sharing at these parties!