I’m always drawn to the beautiful beds on Pinterest with all their layers and textures. The ones with six pillows, the folded down top sheet, two different comforters, the perfect throw draped over the foot and a bolster to top it all off.
Can I get an “Amen!”?
Oh, and don’t forget the dust ruffle? Or is it a bedskirt? I don’t know.
Remember, I LOVE layers and textures, so that was the goal as I tried to figure out which dust ruffle to use in our master bedroom.
I always look for dust ruffles at the thrift stores and had a white one on hand as an option.
*This post contains affiliate links to products I know &/or love.
You can find a similar one on Etsy.
Then, I grabbed a gray dust ruffle from Target.
I went back and forth and could not make up my mind. So, like any rational adult, I did a poll on Instagram.
And got this. . .
Sooooo helpful, don’t you think?
Actually, it really was helpful because I realized that what I really wanted was to use both!
I decided to simple layer them. The white on top of the gray.
Now, theoretically, you do not need to sew this, but it will not stay in place nearly as well.
I went ahead and without even cutting the white one, stitched it on top of the gray one.
I pinned the top dust ruffle in place, then stitched and ironed ironed everything.
The extra fabric on top is easily hidden by the mattress.
I’m can’t call this post a tutorial because it really doesn’t need much explanation, but I DO want to point out a couple of things about dust ruffles.
- Always look for dust ruffles at the thrift stores and buy any that have great detail on the edges. I use these for table cloths, curtains and blankets. You can learn more in 10 Ways to Repurpose Vintage Linens.
- When, layering try to make it so the bottom dust ruffle is about three inches longer than the top one.
- This will create extra fabric in the middle of the top dust ruffle. To adjust for that, I had to create three pleats or you could just gather it in the middle at the foot of the bed.
- I recommend a floor length skirt and no more, as it will not stay in place.
- Also, I would not do a dust ruffle that cannot easily be removed and washed.
- Notes- Shams are from Serena & Lily