Usually, I love for this to be a conversation, so I apologize that this page feels like a monologue.
One of my concerns with teaching home design online and sharing such polished photos of my house is that I will unwittenly give the impression that a perfect home is attainable and even worse- completely soul satisfying.
When the truth is, even though I technically now live in my dream house, it is still just a house.
It’s gets dirty faster than I would like, faucets leak, paint chips, dishes break, entire rooms go out of style. I thoroughly enjoy the process of making a house a home and feel so blessed to live where I do, but there is definitely more to life.
All the good things in my life can become a distraction from what truly matters. The truth is that a husband and children, a dream house, a crossed off to do list, hitting your goal weight, whatever it is you prize, nothing will give you lasting inner peace and hope in this world, nothing but knowing Jesus.
The fact that our heart yearns for something Earth can’t supply is proof that Heaven must be our home.
-C. S. Lewis
Once the disappointment of the failings of this world hits home, it makes room for the hope that is available.
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
-Jesus speaking in John 10:10
Life to the full, isn’t that what we are all reaching for? I love that. It doesn’t mean that there will be no more troubles or disappointment, but it does mean that we will no longer be alone or powerless in them.
There are a handful of things to see in the Bible and believe about yourself and God before this relationship truly begins.
- All of sinned and fall short of the glory of God. – Romans 3:23
- For the wages (price) of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus. -Romans 6:23
- Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” -John 3:3
- Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” – John 14:6
- If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised you from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. -Romans 10:9-10
- And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. – 2 Corinthians 5:15
- Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person and they with me.- Revelation 3:20
If these verses speak to you and you are ready to respond to God’s amazing grace, it is a simple as a prayer to Him. Acknowledging your need of Him and His forgiveness and your willingness to surrender your life to knowing, loving and obeying Him, work your way through the above verses in your own words to Him.
I prayed this kind of prayer alone in my room when I was fourteen. I was not prepared for what forgiveness felt like. I vividly remember what felt like a huge weight lifting off my shoulders.
This is only the beginning. . .
This is the first step in the greatest adventure in life, that of belonging to Jesus and knowing Him more intimately than any relationship on Earth. He is always with you, nearer than anyone else can ever be. He promises to lead you and nurture you.
The most beneficial habit I made right away after I gave my life to Christ was to set aside time everyday just to talk through my day with Him, much the same way that you would meet someone at Starbucks and chat for an hour.
There isn’t necessarily any agenda, just space to see where the conversation goes. I would also read my bible. I think the Children’s Living Bible is the clearest translation to start with and the book of John or Psalms are easiest to begin in.
He will patiently, lovingly show you things about yourself, Himself and life that will stop you in your tracks. He will ask you to do things you have never done before, but trust Him and see what happens. I love to keep a journal of these conversations to look back on.
When you come across a promise from God or a truth that pierces your heart, memorize it and think about it throughout the day. It will change your life.
Pray to find a church and some Christian friends and begin to walk daily beside your Savior.
Books that have impacted my life. . .
Blessings to you, my friend, you are in my prayers!
Feel free to contact me
Soli Deo Gloria,