Candy Corn Popcorn Balls are a favorite fall recipe around here, rivaling even the elegant and classic caramel apple!
I suppose it is the simplicity that we love.
You know when you go to make a recipe and realize you don’t have the correct ingredients so you just start improvising out of desperation . . .
yeah, that was how this one got started.
I meant to make rice crispy treats, but we were plum out of the snap, crackle and pop. So, I did what any self- respecting hostess would do and substituted popcorn instead.
And then, well, while we were breaking the rules, why not add some candy corn for the color and seasonal interest?
If you aren’t familiar with the standard rice crispy treat recipe have included it here with my tweaks.
- 24 cups of popped popcorn
- 1 cube of butter
- 2 packages (10 oz., about 80) marshmallows
- 3 cups of corn candy
- In large kettle melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- In a HUGE mixing bowl, mix the popcorn, candy corn and marshmallow sauce with your hands until evenly distributed. Butter your hands to keep them from sticking to the marshmallow sauce.
- Shape into balls and let cool on wax paper.
And there you have it, all my secrets to making Candy Corn Popcorn Balls.
They are a tradition at our Pumpkin Carving Party we host each year at our house and I have been known to switch out the candy corn for gum drops when I wear my Mary Poppins costume, which incidentally is my favorite costume ever.
Shhh, don’t tell the kids it is really just Miss Sarah, some of them were convinced I really was Mary Poppins! One little girl had me bend over so she could whisper in my ear, “I feel like I know you.”
Oh. my. goodness. So darling!