I take it you love interior design. Me, too!
My mission on She Holds Dearly is to take my professional interior design training and teach the “regular” woman how to think, design, shop and style her home like a designer.
Achieving a beautiful, functional sanctuary that you can be proud of no longer needs be considered an unattainable luxury.
Let me take you by the hand!
Hello, my name is Sarah, “Sarah Jean” for you country folk. Born to a cattle farmer /small businessman and a music teacher, I have always lived at the base of one mountain or another in the stunning Pacific Northwest. For as long as I can remember I have been decorating and designing. My childhood bedroom was my blank canvas and every square inch was meticulously thought through. I could not wait to have an entire home to myself to decorate. I remember thinking it was perfectly normal for a sixth grade girl to have her future house fully designed right down to the bathroom towels, until my peers gave me a blank stare when I asked them to describe their dream house.
There was pre-med in college, which led to a blind date, which brought me to a man God knew I needed. We were married in less than a year. It was he, who reminded me of my love for decor and design, suggesting I switch my degree to something that flowed from my very soul.
After graduating from the London Guildhall University with a degree in interior design, I worked in the industry until I had three babies to look after. It was about this time that we decided to purchase a 1906 farmhouse on some farmland and my country living roots were revived.
We made the audacious goal of renovating the old home using 90% DIY and thrifted materials. I am proud to say over the next few years, we did indeed meet this goal, proving that it can be done.
Open fields and wind in the trees have always been a part of me and the desire to push back against the noise and pressures of our current age is something that I consciously pursue. All of these things influence my current decorating style of Traditional English Cottage. You are welcome to take our farmhouse tour to see what we have accomplished.
The daily details with ups and downs are best followed along on my Instagram account.
If you are more of a video person, you might enjoy subscribing to my YouTube channel.
During the years I was taking clients, something began to dawn on me. I realized that the group of women I really wanted to work with was the group that would never hire an interior designer.
- They want to decorate their own homes and not just every few years!
- They love watching HGTV, but want to know more. They want to know why a designer chose that shade of blue and that size of throw pillow. And how they got the gallery wall all styled like that.
- They struggle with money, confidence and skills- hint-that is where I come in!
Through this realization, I founded the online interior design school called “Behind the Scenes” and have helped over five hundred women learn the ins and outs of professional looking interior design. We specialize in traditional, vintage home design and love a good DIY or day out thrifting.
My students have successfully
- Decluttered their entire houses with the home editing process that teaches them to think like a designer
- Trained in professional interior design, gaining skills to serve them the rest of their lives
- Built a thriving online design community with like-minded women
- Studied the Bible and prayed together in our optional bible study
- Received and watched live one-on-one design consultations from me every month
- Traveled to different parts of the country for live meet ups and training (trip to Paris for flea market shopping is in the works!)
- Started their own creative businesses using their new expertise and confidence
We only open twice a year! You can join the waitlist here!!
- little details make all the difference
- a home is much, much more than the furniture and colors, it should be our happy place, the one place we would rather be than anywhere else.
- we can love every single room in our homes
- money and current living situation do not need to hold you back
- historic neighborhoods
- peonies, lilacs and hydrangeas
- berries for breakfast
- the smell of a beehive
- clean floors and kitchen counters
- clawfoot tubs
- jersey cows
- wood fires
- homemade bread
- waking up to a rooster crowing
- handwritten thank you notes
- cooking with fresh herbs
- being home with my family
- Jesus and my resting place in His amazing grace
If you are looking for more information regarding the business side of things, you can check out my FAQs page!!
Some blog posts to get you started. . .
You are welcome to join me here, as well.